Thursday, December 15, 2016

Iradiation 5 more days

Yesterday, I got a bummer news as I went for an ultrasound test of the nodes on the neck. Most of them have shrunk except for the main one which the cancer had infiltrated was still enlarged. Doctor said it usually takes a couple of weeks after RT for it to shrink completely. As a precautionary step however she would like to do 5 sessions of Iradiation. I was so bummed out to hear that as I thought I was done with treatment.
Well, we asked for them to do the planning  on the same day and begin treatment the following day which is today.

a different machine. I step in to a room with a giant C shaped scanner like machine.
I lie on the bench for not more than 3 minutes, this machine comes close to my neck and then
It's done.
The side effects are not as bad as RT apparently since its localised and  targetted only the skin in that area is affected.
Well, it didn't seem so bad and the earlier sores seem to have healed. The pain is now further down the throat....no more spasms and nausea...so I'm hoping the worse is over.

Thank you Lord!!


8 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Meng. Words from us seem so weak in the face of your great suffering. The Lord be with u and heal u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rema. Words are great comfort in times of suffering...keep it coming

      Delete
    2. Thank you Rema. Words are great comfort in times of suffering...keep it coming

      Delete
  2. Pastor, my regrets for replying late! The peak "pain" will be different for every person. I do know for a fact that theres virtually no improvement for a few weeks after RT (about 2 weeks). After that, improvements are measured in weeks to months, and some years.

    I am currently 9months since my last chemo, 12 months since my RT. My oncos recommended to do adjuvant chemo. I cant say much on it, not to sway you one way or another - but its something you want to discuss. Personally, the "worst" for me was during adjuvant chemo. The 5FU + cisplatin was a nausea and throat killer.

    As for post RT, expect no recovery for at least 2 2 weeks. A month later, i was able to take semi solids, and some of my taste buds came back. 2 months out i was into solid foods again, and taste buds came back 50%. Sweet things taste weird. 1 year from RT taste buds 70%. Saliva is virtually non-existant, even 1 year out. That said, it has recovered a bit. Saliva recovery is likely measured in years and may not recover at all. Alas, every person is different, some faster and some slower. Do not feel disappointed if you take a bit more time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenneth, sorry to reply so late. If you can email me please at
      Mengoyee@gmail.com
      Th a ks

      Delete
    2. Kenneth, sorry to reply so late. If you can email me please at
      Mengoyee@gmail.com
      Th a ks

      Delete
  3. Kenneth..I do not know you but your words are comforting to know. Thank you for being there for meng. We can never empathise and our words ring empty. May the Word of God minister to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for keeping us posted on your situation. You are constantly in our prayer! You're an encouragement...how you continue to look to the one true God in the midst of suffering.

    2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

    Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.

    Ephesians 3:20-21 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

    ReplyDelete